Back in the day, businesses got customers from advertising in the newspaper, or by word-of-mouth. Today, businesses need to have all their digital bases covered: social media marketing, a good website, a robust Google listing... It can be overwhelming for a small business owner who just wants to do their job!
Whether you like it or not, building and nurturing a strong online presence is essential for any business looking to succeed. At the heart of this endeavor is the powerful alliance between social media and digital marketing. In this blog post, we'll explore the intricate connection between these two facets of the digital landscape and how they work synergistically to boost brand awareness.
Social media statistics every small business owner needs to be aware of:
There are 4.59 billion social media users. That's over half the entire world population! That's a very large pool of potential customers!
Facebook alone has 2.94 billion monthly active users, meaning that they sign in to Facebook at least once a month.
On average, people spend 2.5 hours per day on social media.
75% of internet users use social media to research products.
71% of consumers who have had a positive experience with a brand on social media are likely to recommend the brand to their friends and family.
80% of total time spent on social media sites occurs on mobile platforms. So make sure your website is mobile friendly ready when your potential customers click on it!
Social Media: Your Brand's Best Friend
Social media platforms have transformed the way businesses engage with their audience. They offer a dynamic and interactive space where brands can connect, communicate, and build lasting relationships with their customers. It also means your brand is under more scrutiny, and you need to stay vigilant with how your brand is perceived. Here's how social media contributes to boosting brand awareness:
1. Content Amplification:
- Social media is a megaphone for your brand's content. Each post, image, or video you share has the potential to reach a vast audience. When your audience engages with your content by liking, sharing, or commenting, it amplifies your message and exposes it to a broader network of potential customers. If people like, comment, or share, the algorithm boosts your future posts to these people as well.
2. Community Building:
- Social media provides a platform for fostering a sense of community around your brand. When you respond to comments, answer questions, and engage with your followers, you create a loyal and engaged customer base. It's important to respond to any negative comments or reviews about your brand, so as to keep your brand in a good light. A loyal online community becomes a powerful advocate for your brand.
3. Real-Time Engagement:
- Social media enables real-time interactions with your audience. This means you can respond to customer inquiries and concerns promptly, creating a positive customer service experience and building trust. Leaving a negative comment sitting on your page is definitely not a good look, so make sure you have notifications turned on when someone comments or leaves a review on your business page.
4. Humanizing Your Brand:
- Behind every business are people. Social media humanizes your brand by giving it a personality and a face. It allows you to share behind-the-scenes glimpses of your company and showcase the people who make it tick. People love to see BTS content, as it makes them feel like they're "in the know" and a part of your exclusive community.
5. Targeted Advertising:
- Social media platforms offer powerful advertising tools that allow you to target specific demographics, interests, and behaviors. This precision ensures your brand's message reaches the right people, increasing the chances of conversion. (For example, a Meta ad campaign for a carpet cleaning business can be targeted towards people who have pets, buy pet food, and follow pet companies like Petco. This helps ensure the right people are looking at your ad.)
Digital Marketing: The Strategic Engine That can!
While social media is a vibrant canvas for your brand with many possibilities, digital marketing serves as the strategic engine that drives results. It encompasses various digital channels, including SEO, content marketing, email marketing, and paid advertising. Here's how digital marketing complements social media in the quest for brand awareness:
1. Search Engine Optimization (SEO):
- SEO ensures that your website and content are easily discoverable by search engines. By optimizing your content for relevant keywords, you increase your chances of ranking in search results, attracting organic traffic, and expanding your brand's reach. Google does in fact "crawl" your social media, so it's definitely important to post relevant content with keywords, and do so regularly.
2. Content Marketing:
- Content marketing involves creating and sharing valuable content that educates, entertains, or informs your audience. It's even ok to share other businesses' content and give your own feedback. High-quality content boosts your brand's authority and attracts a dedicated following.
3. Email Marketing:
- Email marketing is a direct line to your audience. Slightly different than social media, but just as impactful. It's a powerful tool for nurturing leads and keeping your brand top-of-mind. You can share valuable content, promotions, recent blog posts, and updates, reinforcing brand awareness.
4. Paid Advertising:
- Paid advertising, whether through social media ads or pay-per-click campaigns, ensures your brand's message reaches a wider audience. You can target specific demographics and track the performance of your ads.
5. Analytics and Insights:
- Digital marketing provides valuable data and insights. You can measure the impact of your efforts, identify trends, and adapt your strategy to improve brand awareness continuously.
Social Media and Digital Marketing go hand in hand
The real magic happens when social media and digital marketing work together to boost your brand. Social media creates an engaged audience, while digital marketing ensures that your brand's message is strategically distributed and optimized for search engines. Here's how:
1. Content Sharing: Promote your blog posts and valuable content on your social media channels. This increases the visibility and shareability of your content.
2. Targeted Ads: Utilize the audience data from your social media efforts to inform your digital marketing strategies. Tailor your paid advertising to reach your most engaged social media followers.
3. Consistent Branding: Maintain consistent branding and messaging across your social media profiles, website, and digital marketing materials. This reinforces brand recognition.
In conclusion, social media and digital marketing are not separate entities; they are integral parts of a comprehensive strategy for boosting brand awareness. As you may remember from the statistics at the beginning of this blog post, many people are online every day, and brands have an opportunity to advertise to them. You as a small trades business have the opportunity to engage, educate, and convert your audience, ultimately solidifying your brand's digital presence.
BluTrade Brands can help you with your social media marketing! We love to post regularly for brands and post engaging content. Let us know if you'd like us to lift the digital burdens from your shoulders.