Regularly updating your website is important for a variety of reasons, as it directly impacts user experience, search engine rankings (AKA SEO), security, and the overall success of your online presence.
Here are several compelling reasons why you should be updating your business website:
1. Fresh Content: Keeping your website's content up-to-date is can help engage your website visitors. Potential clients are more likely to return to your site and explore it further if they know they'll find new information or insights. Regularly updated content, also demonstrates that your business is active and attentive to its audience's needs. For example, seeing that you are posting a blog article at least once a month can show that you are attentive to all aspects of your business.
2. Improved User Experience: Outdated websites can be challenging to navigate, resulting in a poor user experience (also called UX). Regular updates help you ensure that your site remains user-friendly, with a modern design, easy navigation, and fast loading times.
3. SEO Benefits: Search engines like Google will reward you if your business website is fresh, relevant, and has high-quality content. Regularly updating your website with this new, valuable content can improve your search engine rankings. (Just don't forget the alternative text on all your photos so search engines pick it up!) Fresh content is more likely to be indexed by search engines, increasing your chances of ranking higher in search results.
4. Relevance: Your business evolves over time, so your website should reflect these changes. Maybe you stopped providing a certain service to your clients. You definitely don't want people calling you asking for a service you don't do anymore, but it's listed on your website! Avoid this embarrassing client encounter by keeping your site current with your products, services, and achievements ensures that visitors see an accurate representation of your business.
5. Security: Outdated websites are more susceptible to security vulnerabilities. Regular updates to your content management system (CMS) and plugins, as well as strong security practices, can protect your site from cyber threats. (In short: Just make sure you have a reputable website host!)
6. Mobile Compatibility: 50% or more of your clients are looking at your website on mobile devices. If your website shows information crookedly, or is overlapping images and text where it's not supposed to, it can be frustrating for your potential customers to find information about you. It shows a lack of attention to detail and can make website visitors look elsewhere. Regular updates can help you adapt to changes in mobile technology and user behavior.
7. Reduced Bounce Rate: An outdated website with irrelevant or unattractive content can lead to a high bounce rate, meaning visitors leave your site shortly after arriving. Keeping your website fresh and engaging can help reduce bounce rates and increase visitor retention.
8. Competitive Advantage: Regular updates allow you to stay ahead of or at least keep up with your competitors. If your site appears more modern, informative, and user-friendly than your competitors, you'll have a competitive edge. At BluTrade, we increased one of our client's Google ranking to be in the map pack. He was getting many more calls than his competitors' were because his website looked more modern and clean!
9. Frequent Blogging: A blog is an excellent way to engage your audience and boost your website's SEO. Make sure you use relevant keywords that tie into your business. An SEO research software is great for this. Regular blogging keeps your site's content fresh and relevant, positioning you as an industry authority.
10. Brand Trust: An up-to-date website builds trust with your audience. Visitors are more likely to trust a site that looks current and is regularly maintained.
11. Performance Optimization: Regular updates allow you to optimize your website's performance. This includes reducing loading times, improving site speed, and ensuring compatibility with the latest web standards. By regularly checking on the state of your website, you can determine any potential broken links, too-big files that are increasing load times, or other things that can hinder a customer's overall experience.
12. Analytics and Conversion Rate Optimization: Frequent updates provide opportunities to analyze user behavior and improve conversion rates. By testing different elements and tracking user interactions, you can make data-driven improvements to your site.
13. Legal Compliance: Laws and regulations regarding websites, such as accessibility standards and privacy policies, can change. Regular updates help ensure your site complies with these requirements.
We at BluTrade Brands know how essential it is to be updating your website regularly. Your business is the best, and your website is usually one of the first impressions your potential customers will see of your trades business. If keeping up with all these aspects of your website, we can help you maintain your website. It's a strategic investment in improving user experience, search engine rankings, and ultimately, your online presence's success.